Monday, July 20, 2009

A Good Weekend

I spent my Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and evening setting up an IKEA wardrobe with a friend, for my apartment.

My current apartment is really nice but it lacks storage space. In a way I have a lot more stuff than my landlord who used to live there. I cook a lot more and I own way more clothing :) So I managed to convince my landlord to let me switch the wardrobe with a nice, new, space-efficient IKEA one. I gotta say, I love it. The challenge with setting up a new wardrobe is to remove the old one (which we did on Thursday night, leaving all the clothing on the carpet and on the 2nd couch...so it was quite a "sight"), as well as filling up the new one.

I spent my whole Sunday filling it up and sorting out what clothing I wanted to keep, and which ones go to charity. I have a lot of old stuff like jeans from my university days (that is a tad too loose and worn out), shirts from my teenage days, etc. I am really setting my mind to getting rid of all that this time. Previously I got rid of some but kept the rest for sentimental reasons. I am a sentimental pack rat :( This time, I am making sure I get rid of those pieces.

I am 3/4 done. There is 1/4 of clothing left on the floor/couch. The good news is I can now see the carpet so it is not that bad.

The other project I was going to do (which is 1/2 way done now) is to use one half of the old wardrobe and install it at the entrance of the apartment. So I can hang coats and put my winter boots (knee high fluffy Timberlands) in them. I want to clean up the small store room I have near the entrance so that it is a bit neater. The wardrobe has been set up, but the doors/shelves have to be put in. I'll try to do that by the end of this week.

I also bought a shelf made out of wire baskets stacked up for the bathroom. The current bathroom shelf is just beyond help and I have to get rid of it. The difficult part about switching out furniture is finding a way to throw the old one out. Most probably I will have to rent a car and get my friend to drive it, and then throw out the old furniture at this collection post they have, out of the city (about 30 minutes drive).

Phew, I so don't have "furniture" on my mind anymore :) I don't think I am going to change anything in the next 2-3 years...this attempt was enough of a challenge.

2 Comments:

At 7/21/2009 07:43:00 PM , Blogger Sha said...

babe, i'm blogging again :)

I love ikea...i love the woodsy smell...hmmm...

 
At 8/03/2009 11:44:00 PM , Anonymous *lilyng said...

i totally get you. im in the process of moving in as well as redecorating and finding someone to collect the old furniture! (i think there's a service)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home