Monday, November 05, 2007

A New Week

So I spoke to my 3 year old niece on the phone this morning. She was asking if I was the same aunt who bought her a particular pair of slippers at her Rawang house. Hehe. She lives in two places technically - weekdays, until her parents finish work, she stays with her grandparents. In the evenings and weekends, she goes back to her parents' place. It was so cute, how she answered the phone. I have heard that she's the receptionist lately...but it was really cute :)

I cooked dessert with my colleague and his wife on Saturday. The dessert didn't turn out very well, but it was edible :) I guess I have to try that dish again. On Sunday I met a new friend, who happens to be an online friend's friend. She's really cool. We had sushi for lunch and Haagen Dazs Cookies and Cream ice-cream for dessert. It was 5 C outside and we were walking around the city eating ice-cream. My fingers were practically frozen...but it was fun. That's a cool thing about people in [Norway]...they eat ice-cream no matter how cold it is.

It's Diwali this Thursday (8/11/07). My third Diwali in a row where I am not at home with family. I'm getting used to it. My younger sister isn't though - she doesn't like it that she's in UK and has to celebrate Diwali alone. I guess as you grow older, you start to realise that you cannot have your near and dear ones around you all the time - and smart people are those who make the best of what they have. So, I will be cooking dinner with some friends or something like that. I bought a bright orange sweater to wear on that day. Its tradition to wear new clothes...but its fun to have a good reason to shop, helps with the post-shopping-guilt.

Have a great week ahead guys. I'll try to post some photographs of the food I might cook this weekend for post-diwali-celebration ;)

2 Comments:

At 11/11/2007 12:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tamil came over to shake my hands and I didnt realise why until he said "Happy Deepavali". Realised that living alone in a foreign country can make even Deepavali can be just another day. How tragic. But then Malar invited me over at night and I had fish sambal, ketchup chicken and other stuff.... Went to bed a very happy woman :-)

 
At 11/13/2007 07:07:00 PM , Blogger Fieran said...

Yeah, I guess we don't see the sights and sounds towards Deepavali - with the shops on the streets and everyone rushing to buy punjabi suits. Did feel like just another day...

I sometimes wonder if we will carry on our family traditions in future.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home