Saturday, February 27, 2010

A quick trip to KL

Last year, when I was in KL, my sisters and I were thinking of giving my parents a ticket to India for my Dad's 60th birthday. However, my Dad is not much of a traveler - he would rather sit on the couch and read the newspapers :) Though his new found best friend is actually his grand daughter - my cute little niece - and I think he'd rather play with her than go anywhere else. She has my Dad wrapped around her little finger so much so that sometimes when we are chatting on MSN he will say something like "The small one wants to go outside, chat with you later". That really steamrolled my ego ;)

Since the India trip was off, I figured I'd go back to KL for a week and spend some time with Dad.

Gosh, traveling for about 20 hours on the way there and 23 hours on the way back in just 8 days really takes its toll on your body. I was pretty jet lagged back there and I could tell that I was not completely _there_. It was this strange feeling where your tummy doesn't know if it should be hungry or not, and you really feel very off because of the change in weather (it was a snowy -9 C when I left Oslo last Wednesday) and surrounding. I did something really strange on my Oslo-Frankfurt flight - I left the novel I was reading on the seat and totally forgot about it. That is so unlike me... I've been traveling via flight since the age of 19 and I have never left anything on the flight :(

Also, I didn't really feel like shopping. Now that makes me worry because I am always up for shopping especially in KL because everything is half the price, compared to Oslo.

I did shop a little bit - a few pairs of shoes, 2 cardigans, a jacket for Spring, some makeup, etc. I also got a winter coat and Elizabeth Arden's Mediterranean perfume from Mom as a gift and some nice jewelry from my sisters.

We threw Dad a small birthday high-tea at a nice, simple hotel. It seemed like he had a good time :)

Overall the trip was definitely worth it. Now I just have to get back to saving money mode...and try to save to go back to KL again, maybe end of this year. Though I am not 100% sure if it will be possible as I am working in a new job now and my number of paid days off is rather small. But, there's always room for surprises. Who knows? I might just be able to visit KL again this year.

4 Comments:

At 2/27/2010 09:20:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SOOO envy you. A week with family really is precious. You bought a winter jacket in KL??? Where from? Before I left Msia to Italy, DKNY in The Curve had 70% off their winter jackets but none could fit me. :(

 
At 3/01/2010 09:41:00 PM , Anonymous Cas said...

If you come back end of this year, you can meet me and my baby, hehe. Btw, your dad sounds like my dad, he won't budge and leave this country at all, so hard to get him to go on a holiday!

 
At 3/01/2010 10:55:00 PM , Blogger Fieran said...

@Whimsicaljottings: Hm, there's not much to envy though. It was quite stressful - lots of running around and getting things done. Not to mention the overeating - everybody offers you food and you try not to decline because you want to be polite - then you overeat and reach Oslo all bloated. Urgh :(

Actually I buy a lot of winter clothing in KL because they are very expensive in Norway. This time I got the jacket from Zara (they were having 70% discount on their coats...Mom paid about RM 170 for my jacket). Previously I've bought a coat in Promod (at RM135 but 60% wool) and I also got one in Dorothy Perkins, a classic black coat (I think it was about RM200).

@Cas: That is tempting! My Dad refuses to travel, my younger sister tried emotional blackmail to get him to attend her graduation in UK - he still didn't go. I wonder if he'll come to Oslo to visit me...probably not. You know I contemplated asking you if you'd like to meet up when I was in KL but I chickened out - didn't have the confidence :) Besides, I'm boring.

 
At 3/13/2010 01:28:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've to go to KL again this year, 'cause you need to see me, or I'll come see you! Hope you're doing great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home