Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Was Once Mistaken For a Boy

Today on Facebook I came across a friend being a tad miffed that a barista in a cafe called her "Madam" instead of "Miss". I realised that it was not so bad.

I've been mistaken for a boy so many times when I was a kid because I always had the Mushroom haircut :) It also didn't help that I was a bit of a tom boy. Okay maybe not "a bit"..it's "very much". I never liked girly stuff and definitely hated the colour pink. I never liked sleeveless T-shirts (still don't), skirts, dresses, etc.

Actually, I haven't worn a dress since I was 10 years old or something. That's 16 years ago..wow.

But I digress. My point is that I started to realize that maybe I should bother to look like a girl when I was 19 and in a small restaurant near my college, a waiter told me "Intha Thambi" and handed me my food.

That means "Here, little boy (or younger brother)". I kind of freaked out because I was 19 and I definitely looked like a girl. Let's just say my sisters and I will never need silicone enhancements ;)

A few people in the restaurant were smirking and chuckling in my direction. I was a little mortified.

That's when I decided - it is time to grow my hair. I never looked back since then .. though my hair is a lot shorter now than it used to be when I was a poor student in Australia who could not afford a hair cut - but that's for another day.

3 Comments:

At 5/11/2010 10:46:00 PM , Anonymous Cas said...

OMG this post reminds me of me back then. I HAD the dreaded mushroom haircut (I wish I could kill the hair stylist who had the nerve to give me that cut) and once my sisters friends mistook me for her brother. A handsome one at that. Like you, I only became more feminine during college coz I was so sick and tired of being a tomboy and not getting attention from boys. Talk about going through the same thing eh?

 
At 5/12/2010 07:15:00 PM , Blogger Fieran said...

Hahahaha, I guess it happens to everybody at some point.

I didn't really mind not getting attention from the boys - I was always too busy studying and studying and reading. I never had a social life, never bothered with makeup, just felt like my studies was everything.

I kind of decided to be this person who would be somewhat successful, live in a huge apartment, with a pet gold fish or something. I didn't mind being alone, but then again, all the guys I liked were always taken or I just was "one of the guys" to them.

Then I moved to Norway...and life changed :)

 
At 5/14/2010 01:32:00 AM , Blogger Erina Das said...

it happened with me too.. even i was a tom boy type girl..with short hair.. but now i definitely look like a girl in every aspects..

May b its a phase of life that we live and i cherish those days .. i used to fight with my parents tht why they dont allow me to look like a girl.. n keep long hair.. but now i fight to get a hair cut.. :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home