Monday, April 19, 2010

There's No Use Crying Over Spilt Milk

...but it is a little difficult trying to reconcile your expectations with reality.

I was supposed to have one of the most awesome weekends ever - in the end it turned into my bumming on the couch trying not to think about how much fun I could have had.

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but you kind of get this really strange feeling because you don't want to be upset (as there are people out there who have it worse than you... I mean seriously, people living near the volcano have to be evacuated, that is definitely worse than canceled travel plans...) but you just feel off. Like something is wrong and there is no way you can fix it because it is not even in your control.

I was supposed to go to Stockholm, but on Thursday morning a very "nice person" told me that there is not going to be any flights out of Oslo. I was kind of annoyed that first thing in the morning, somebody is raining on my parade, but "nice person" probably wanted to be helpful. True enough, the Oslo airspace started shutting down, canceling strings of flights and I was getting very anxious (my flight was on Friday).

A quick text to my travel companions resulted in the collective decision to wait until Friday and see if anything happens.

Friday morning we decided to cancel our hostel reservations. This was supposed to be my first trip where I stayed in a hostel to learn to not live in luxury. I mean I love hotels, to me it's part of the fun of traveling, but sometimes it would be good for the soul to see something different - good for the pocket too as hostels are like half the price!

Today is Monday and I am yet to call the airlines to find out how we can obtain the refunds for our tickets. I spent Saturday bumming around as well as hanging out with the nice couple whom I was supposed to travel with. We did a bit of walking around shops and had nice coffee/tea. I also learned how to knit, but I think I'm lousy at it.

Sunday, I stayed at home in pyjamas, reading, watching two movies back to back - Paiyaa and Pink Panther 2 - and cooking simple yet scrumptious Veggie Nachos as well as Pasta with Bacon and Red Pesto. It was a nice Sunday. I forced myself to skip the gym from Friday to Sunday as I figured I should rest and cheer myself up.

The other disappointing part is that the boyfriend is traveling. He was supposed to come to Stockholm and meet us there (myself + nice couple friends). He's still in San Francisco, hoping to get a flight out middle of this week. I hope that happens. He is normally the eternal optimist, but he does seem a little bothered as he's been away for more than a week now - the original plan was 6 days.

It's nobody's fault, so you can't really get angry either.

Oh well, this too shall pass. Things will get better and one of these days I'll go to Stockholm and write "I WAZ ERE" a la high school on some sand and then I'll feel better :)

5 Comments:

At 4/19/2010 08:08:00 PM , Blogger Kimberly Low said...

i think this is the 1st time u use the word boyfriend hehehehe

cheer up woman, it's better to be stranded at home than somewhere foreign :)

 
At 4/19/2010 08:10:00 PM , Anonymous Khemy said...

hi there..I believe in 'blessing in disguise' thingy. :) Pray hard 'she' will 'cool down' real soon :3)

 
At 4/20/2010 06:37:00 PM , Blogger Twiggy said...

actually, i agree with khemy :) one of those "blessing in disguise" episodes

 
At 4/20/2010 06:56:00 PM , Blogger Fieran said...

Thanks guys.

I hope so. The airline is refunding my tickets as I write this. Guess some things are not meant to be :)

P/s - Kim: Hehehe, I'm 4 years away from 30, eventually the term might have to be "Partner" because I'll be too old to use "boyfriend". Better use it while I can :)

 
At 4/21/2010 09:54:00 PM , Anonymous Cas said...

*HUGS* Cheer up babe, beats getting stranded in a foreign land. I read some cases where people were out of money and had to survive on bread and water. Perhaps you could re-book it in 3 months time??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home